California has the highest number of charter schools of any state in the country with 1,130 schools serving over 500,000 students as of fall 2013.
In 2013-14, 104 new charter schools opened in California.
For the 2012-13 school year, there were over 49,000 students on charter school wait lists in CA. This includes more than 15,000 students on wait lists in Los Angeles Unified School District (LAUSD) alone.
Number of Charter Schools Located in Major Districts*
- Los Angeles Unified School District: 241
- San Diego Unified: 55
- City of San Jose (Multiple districts): 36
- Oakland Unified: 38
- San Francisco Unified: 15
- Sacramento City Unified: 14
- Fresno Unified: 14
- San Bernardino City Unified: 14
- Find more details, including charter school performance by region, on our Fact Sheets page.
- You can also learn more about charter school performance in our statewide report, Portrait of the Movement.
- Our New Schools Press Kit has breakdown by county and enrollment details.
* Number of Schools: The number of schools is counted by physical location of the school rather than by authorizer, Source = CDE data, California Charter School Association analysis conducted in fall 2012.