June 27, 2013 Charter public schools throughout the state are recognized for excellence in serving public school students, including low-income and special education students.
This year,19 students were named Gates Millenium Scholars. GMS rewards high-performing, low-income students by fully covering the cost of pursuing a degree in any undergraduate major at the accredited college or university of the recipients' choice
Two schools won national honors for environmental programs.
CHIME Institute in Los Angeles won the state's highest honor for special education innovation, the first time that a charter school has received this award.
- 1 in 3 of the nation's top 100 schools is a charter school (US News)
- 9 of the nation's top 100 schools are California charter schools (US News)
- 21 California charters ranked Gold (US News' top 500)
- 15 California charters ranked Silver (US News' top 1000)
- 37 California charter schools made Newsweek's top 2000 schools
The first and second place winners of the National Academic Decathlon were California charter Schools. This is the third consecutive year that Granada Hills Charter High School has won first place. El Camino Real Charter High School, also in Los Angeles, took second.
KIPP, which has multiple schools in California, was named one of the nation's best charter school systems this year.
Synergy Charter School in Los Angeles was named the Best Urban Elementary School in America.
Congratulations to the students, families, teachers and school leaders for their commitment to excellence.