11/14/12 Charter News Round-Up Special: 1,500+ Charter Parents Rally in LA
November 14, 2012came out again on Oct. 9, Boardmember Zimmer responded by postponing the vote to Nov. 13.
More than 1,500 charter school parents rallied in front of LAUSD on the the day of the vote. Board President Monica Garcia and Boardmember Tamar Galatzan both addressed parents at the rally, affirming their commitment to parent choice and high-quality charter schools.
In response to parents, Steve Zimmer made numerous revisions to his original resolution, but even the water-downed version was ultimately voted down by his colleagues on the board on Nov. 14, 2012.
Many passionate charter school parents shared their personal experiences and how charter schools have had a positive impact on their families at the board meeting and rally. Parents called for the school board to support parent choice and charter schools. Leading up to the vote, parents also spoke out in the local media.
Check out video blogs from Jed Wallace, president and CEO of CCSA and Corri Ravare, Executive Director of Families That Can in response to the board decision.
Many TV stations covered the rally including CBS, KTLA, ABC, Univision and KWHY Channel 22. Read some of the print media coverage:
- LA Daily News: LAUSD rejects voluntary moratorium on new charter schools
- LA Times: LAUSD restores full academic year and full pay
- USC Student Media: LAUSD Votes on Charter Schools
- LA Times: Parents, administrators rally in support of charter schools
- LA School Report: Board Restores 10 Days, Rejects Charter Proposal
- LA School Report: Charter ad blasts Zimmer
- ABC 7: LAUSD furlough days rescinded, thanks to Prop 30