Introducing Advocacy Week at the California Charter Schools Conference
January 31, 201219th Annual California Charter Schools Conference. During Advocacy Week, you will have multiple opportunities for face-to-face interactions with legislators and policymakers whose decisions impact your students.
Advocacy Week "takes advantage of our conference location in the best possible way," said Jed Wallace, CCSA's President and CEO. "By convening in Sacramento, not only do we have the opportunity to hear from policymakers on how they make decisions and what decisions they make, but we also the have the opportunity to let policymakers hear directly from us and to witness firsthand the size and strength of our movement."
Features of Advocacy Week include:
CCSA will host a rally at the State Capitol. That's right, on Wednesday, February 29, at 3:45 p.m., we will be marching on the state Capitol to demand funding equity for charter schools!
Legislative visits. When you register to attend the conference, please remember to sign up for a legislative visit with your local legislator. CCSA has a number of resources for members to make legislative meetings effective, including our Legislative Advocacy Toolkit, a short instructional video, and a useful fact sheet.
We also have a full schedule of conference breakout sessions about how to effectively advocate for your school:
Monday, February 27
- Welcome Reception, 5 - 6:30 p.m., Sheraton Grand Hotel
Tuesday, February 28
- Opening General Session, 8:30 - 9:30 a.m., Halls D&E
- Capitol Update, 10:45 a.m. - Noon, Room 307
- Election 2012: Election Day! Non-Partisan Get-Out-The-Vote, 10:45 a.m. - Noon, Room 201
- Roundtable with California Education Leaders, 2 - 3:15 p.m., Room 307
- Meet the California Department of Education: A Q and A Session, 3:45 - 5 p.m., Room 307
- Exhibit Hall Social Event, 5 - 6:30 p.m., Halls ABC
Wednesday, February 29
- State Budget Update: Overview and Outlook of the Education Budget, 8:30 - 9:45 a.m., Room 307
- Wednesday General Session, 10:45 a.m. - Noon. Halls D&E
- Parent Empowerment, Hosted by Sen. Gloria Romero, 2- 3:15 p.m., Room 307
- CCSA Funding Equity Rally, 3:45 - 5 p.m. North Steps, State Capitol Building
Thursday, March 1
- Why The 2012 Elections Matter, 9 - 10:15 a.m., Room 307
- Charter School Funding Equity and School Finance Reform, 9 - 10:15 a.m., Room 311
- Closing General Session, 10:30 - 11:30 a.m., Hall D
Note: Times and dates of sessions are subject to change. Please check the printed program you receive at registration or visit www.charterconference.org at the time of the event.
The 19th Annual California Charter Schools Conference will be held at the Sacramento Convention Center in Sacramento, CA, February 27-March 1, 2012. Get details on these, and all of the conference's excellent sessions, at www.charterconference.org.
Press ContactIf you are a member of the news media, please contact Emily Galbreth at: (412) 559-8571 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Also on: Facebook
Ask A Question
Let us know what you need: