More than 100 LA charter schools turned out more than 5,000 parents, teachers and students for the "Schools We Can Believe In" rally on Saturday, Feb. 4. The charter school community showed our strength, but more importantly, we showed the depth of our commitment to making sure every student in Los Angeles has a high-quality public school. Read the press release.
Parents stood up on Feb. 4, 2012 to demand:
- High-quality schools in every neighborhood for all public school students!
- Quality space to learn for all public school students!
- Equal funding for all public school students!
- That parent voices are heard!
Speakers at the Rally
We heard from several leaders who are committed to improving public schools, as well as some inspiring educators and parents. Univision Anchor Gabriela Teissier, who is a charter school parent, did an incredible job emceeing our event.
- Antonio Villaraigosa, Mayor of Los Angeles
- Corri Ravare, Executive Director of Families That Can
- Monica Garcia, LAUSD Board President
- Dr. John Deasy, LAUSD Superintendent
- Connie Rivera, Parent, Alliance for College Ready Public Schools
- Ana Ponce, Founder of Camino Nuevo Charter Academies
- Angelina Saenz, Teacher, Aldama Elementary
- Yolie Flores, Executive Director of Communities for Teaching Excellence
- Cindy Rueda, Parent, Community Charter Middle School (PUC Schools)
More than 100 different charter schools participated in the event. See a map showing all the schools that were there.
We worked with many with other local non-profits and community groups that are passionate about improving our public schools to make this rally a success and we will continue to work with them to engage parents on these critical issues. Click on their logos to learn more!